Resources > Chinese Numismatic Events

StacksBowersPonterio auction

<< < (2/5) > >>

pandamonium:

--- Quote from: bonke on October 02, 2020, 09:18:47 AM ---Pandamonium

Just visit StacksBowers.com and look at the list of upcoming auctions.  The Hong Kong auctions are broken into multiple sessions with different types of material in each session.

Purchasing from afar is difficult.  Consider the high bullion prices, the 20% buyer's commission and the duty for US buyers (for certain items being shipped to the USA) when determining an appropriate bid.  Then, consider the difficulty in determining condition for graded and ungraded items when viewing such items on your computer or other smart device.  Remember, a 69 grade is not the same from coin to coin or from grading service to grading service.

Still, you do not have to bid to look.  Check out the site.  See what is being offered.  And, if you can stay awake, see if there is active bidding during the session for a particular item.  Then, share your observations and wisdom with us after the events are completed.

Mark Bonke

--- End quote ---

Auction house wants 20%?    Ebay wants 10%.   Paypal wants 3 1/2%??    I round it up to 15% for ebay sales.   

This should be a interesting auction and hopefully my computer will work as i have been offline since Sat since inventory is so low.....

Birdman:
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-O5F0W/china-dollar-year-22-1933-pcgs-ms-66-gold-shield

Imagine being the seller who expected to sell your coin for the $6,000-$9,000 auction estimate, and you watch it be bid up to more than $70,000  :thumbup1:

KeyDate1/2ozPandas:
The eye appeal comment makes no sense to me, I think it has worst eye appeal, looks like it badly needs conservation and doesn't even come close to looking like a 66.  Vintage stuff is red hot.  Collectors have money to spend and they are spending it.  There was very little modern stuff on sale, I didn't win a single item. 

Birdman:

--- Quote from: KeyDate1/2ozPandas on October 06, 2020, 09:51:34 AM ---The eye appeal comment makes no sense to me, I think it has worst eye appeal, looks like it badly needs conservation and doesn't even come close to looking like a 66. 

--- End quote ---

On certain coins, when you rotate the coin at slightly different angles there can be a magnificent array of colors.  Yet, that doesn't show up in photos, no matter how many shots you take.  Perhaps it was that?  Being top pop doesn't hurt either.  All it takes it two people with deep pockets to start a bidding war.

PandaAccumulator:
This was a very competitive auction, I won 2 out of 10 lots, the lowest percentage in five years. Quite limited supply on MCC. Gold pandas and cultures are coming back, unicorns are still "out of favor".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version