Author Topic: supply and demand of gold panda coins  (Read 13747 times)

Offline rosab2000

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Angebot und Nachfrage von Gold-Panda-Münzen
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2021, 12:45:36 AM »
Hello, thank you  N66! Yes, they are beautiful coins.  I am inclined to buy a few more. The coins are all from Germany . But also here it can be observed that the material has become very rare ! Two years ago, other collectors said: Wait until the price of gold rises then expensive Chinese come onto the "market" again. Now the price of gold is much higher, but the supply is getting less and less. Even in Germany you can only be lucky if an old one. Collector something dissolves . Or they will enjoy the sale. Otherwise there is not much to find here unfortunately.

Offline rosab2000

Re: supply and demand of gold panda coins
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:37 AM »
What's the better date in the 1997 pandas?  large or small date? :confused1:

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2021, 11:01:46 AM »
One way to get insights into that question is to look at the NGC population data, which suggests that 1997 LD and SD show up in fairly similar numbers.  In fact, I think there are few other date examples where the varieties are so similar in prevalence.

Offline PandaAccumulator

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2021, 11:15:31 AM »
Beautiful coins, rosab2000. For 97 half, LD and SD are equally rare. For 96 half, LD is rarer than SD, and the same pattern seems to be true for 94, 95 and 98 halves.

PA.

Offline rosab2000

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2021, 11:16:51 AM »
 Hello Mr. birdman, thanks for linking to ngc.  I always can't believe this data.  It means that only a few hundred are always graded.  See also 1996. That confuses me.  Several thousand are mentioned in the official mcc catalog.  Also in Peter Anthony's book (which I still have to buy but unfortunately can't find) there are many pandas in the edition.  then why are there so few graded? :confused1:

Offline rosab2000

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2021, 11:20:03 AM »
Hello Mr. Panda Accumulator, that's a great statement.  I received 1/2 3x in large date in 1996.  However, never seen a small date here.  But I'll have to buy Peter's book to understand it better.  So far, my fellow collectors have helped me with this.  Although I have to say that it will be less here in Germany.  Everyone just wants standard gold or stocks or bitcoins :blink:

Offline rosab2000

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2021, 11:27:20 AM »
What a shame I just looked.  Unfortunately, from 1994 I don't have the rare ones as they say.  It's just the small date.  I'll keep an eye out for the large date! N13

I read through Mr. @ Storm's article every now and then and I would love to read more articles like this from such great collectors!  It's fun and encourages you to expand your own collection a little! N48

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2021, 11:38:47 AM »
Hello Mr. birdman, thanks for linking to ngc.  I always can't believe this data.  It means that only a few hundred are always graded.  See also 1996. That confuses me.  Several thousand are mentioned in the official mcc catalog.  Also in Peter Anthony's book (which I still have to buy but unfortunately can't find) there are many pandas in the edition.  then why are there so few graded? :confused1:

Many of the gold pandas were melted, so they are gone for ever.  Some are in PCGS holders.  Many were never graded and went straight into master sets.  Others are probably sitting in OMP in safe deposit boxes from people that originally purchased them.    It costs $$ to grade, so not everyone does it.

Offline rosab2000

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »
HOW do you get to the pcgs census?  Can someone help me ?  Do you think so many have been melted down?  Take the 1996 pandas.  There are no 500 graded at ngc.  But there are several thousand pieces.  I think there are very few omps left in the usa and china.  They are more likely to be found in Germany with the old collectors.  But there aren't many left.  Just a handful.  But they will certainly not have a hoard of 1000 coins.  It's strange that you only see a few pieces on the market.  They all seem to be in steady hands or there are no longer thousands of a subject but only a few hundreds.  Can you somehow find out how many master sets have already been created?  Or have they already been sold?  It would be interesting to know :001_smile:

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2021, 02:00:37 PM »

.... But they will certainly not have a hoard of 1000 coins....

You have not seen wg's stash.   :w00t: N31 :lol:

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2021, 02:33:07 PM »
HOW do you get to the pcgs census?  Can someone help me ? 

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/50-yuan-1982-date/3793

Can you somehow find out how many master sets have already been created?  Or have they already been sold?  It would be interesting to know :001_smile:

The master set program started in 2011 to sell 30 gold panda sets from 1982-2011. From 2011 to present year, almost 10 years, with ups and downs, the total master sets sold, based on my information, I believe the number is between 400-450 sets with 2012 the peak year.

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2021, 04:45:25 PM »
Very nice coins, I am jealous.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2021, 05:40:10 PM »
HOW do you get to the pcgs census?  Can someone help me ?  Do you think so many have been melted down?  Take the 1996 pandas.  There are no 500 graded at ngc.  But there are several thousand pieces.  I think there are very few omps left in the usa and china.  They are more likely to be found in Germany with the old collectors.  But there aren't many left.  Just a handful.  But they will certainly not have a hoard of 1000 coins.  It's strange that you only see a few pieces on the market.  They all seem to be in steady hands or there are no longer thousands of a subject but only a few hundreds.  Can you somehow find out how many master sets have already been created?  Or have they already been sold?  It would be interesting to know :001_smile:

Outstanding gold pandas.   Your 94 1/2 oz is a rare proof w/ 854 actual mint.      The surviving pop has been discussed here several times but very hard to say how many and most experts think it is a very low number.    It was also stated that many PCGS were crossed over to NGC.     We may never know the surviving pop but you are probably right that it is a very low number.     Chinese coins/medals were melted and the tide turned about year roughly 2000 or so that i noticed.     Before that they were melted in large numbers.     The market is heating up, so high prices will bring more OMP out if there is a supply of them....
A dealer told me last yr that he sent in 1980's small proof gold pandas for melt and now the market is turning in their favor.    For example the 1987P 1/20 i mentioned on another topic, NGC has about 400 total graded pop including varieties.    10,000 is what could be the actual mint as stated here.    Even if NGC had 2,000 total graded pop that would not be enough to meet upcoming market demand as there will be more than that number of collectors worldwide....

Offline rosab2000

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2021, 04:22:43 AM »
Thanks @ Birdman for the links! 

You can see that Pcgs still graded the first years a lot, but then everyone switched to ngc.  From the 1990s there were hardly any pcgs in the census.  Thanks for pointing out the master sets.  I really had already overread it in my mind.  450 sentences that is a house number and means that many have been withdrawn from the market.

Offline rosab2000

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2021, 04:28:50 AM »
@dynamike I think Wg has more lunars than old pandas.  According to my information from my contacts in China, except for the first series, lunars are no longer in demand and are very popular.  It's a shame, actually.  I think Wg has already sold a lot here, but it's just a guess.  Maybe he can say his own assessment.  I understood what @Storm wanted to say so I guess.  If modern china coins attract then the pandas because of the Masterset story.  Other series are for hardcore collectors and they are only a small group.  When I offered my Goldset Discovery 1995 (3x69,2x70) nobody was interested in it.  Then I sold it to my Chinese.  In Germany everyone just wants to have coins near spot.  Nobody or very few are still interested in old pandas.  Nobody pays a premium of 3000 euros on a coin.  So it is really better to collect the gold pandas than other coins from the modern china coins that are still much less known.