Author Topic: Grading Gold Pandas with NGC questions  (Read 430 times)

Offline PandaBear23

• Trade Count: (0)
Grading Gold Pandas with NGC questions
« on: November 08, 2021, 09:40:21 PM »
Hi everyone. I see that NGC will be at the Whitman  Expo to take submissions and being out of it for a bit I got totally confused reading the NGC pricing structure. Would any of you wonderful people know what it would cost per coin any Gold Panda coin 82-2013 and same for Silver Panda per coin 1oz and a couple 1/2oz. 89-2007? Thank you so much. Oh how long is the wait times? Longer then the estimate on the site?

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: Grading Gold Pandas with NGC questions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 01:39:21 AM »
For coins between $0-$2000, it is $18/coin, 60 days.  For coins $2000-$3000, it is $38/coin, 45 days.  For coins $3000-$10000, it is $80/coin, 30 days.  The wait times drop between shows and spike after shows.  So if you send them in this week you will probably get coins back in the time estimated, if you submit at the show it will probably take longer than the estimated wait time. 

I just sent a bunch of coins in at $18/coin tier, I don't really plan to sell much during November and December due to shipping delays, so getting the stuff back at FUN show is fine. 

Also, I have been noticing an uptick in label errors.  I tell them it is SD and it comes back with LD label, I have to send it back and after 4 weeks with shipping back and forth and reholdering it comes back fine.

Keep in mind that it may take them 1 month to just open your package if you submit at the show.  I avoid this 1-month delay by sending coins via express mail, for some reason they can't resist to not open it up within a day or two of receiving the coins even though they are $18/coin tier.

Offline Shenzhen

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »
For coins between $0-$2000, it is $18/coin, 60 days.  For coins $2000-$3000, it is $38/coin, 45 days.  For coins $3000-$10000, it is $80/coin, 30 days.  The wait times drop between shows and spike after shows.  So if you send them in this week you will probably get coins back in the time estimated, if you submit at the show it will probably take longer than the estimated wait time. 

I just sent a bunch of coins in at $18/coin tier, I don't really plan to sell much during November and December due to shipping delays, so getting the stuff back at FUN show is fine. 

Also, I have been noticing an uptick in label errors.  I tell them it is SD and it comes back with LD label, I have to send it back and after 4 weeks with shipping back and forth and reholdering it comes back fine.

Keep in mind that it may take them 1 month to just open your package if you submit at the show.  I avoid this 1-month delay by sending coins via express mail, for some reason they can't resist to not open it up within a day or two of receiving the coins even though they are $18/coin tier.

NCS for gold coins if there are no red spots on it?

You ever got a coin rejected because of PVC residue or NGC generally does not care about that?

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 11:27:49 PM »
I've only NCS gold bears that have had red spots or visible haze.  They do care with PVC so look at them prior to submitting.

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 11:50:11 AM »
I purchased a large 1980 Great Wall brass medal this summer at the coin show in St. Charles.  In July, I sent it for conservation (if needed) and grading (Economy submission, an early modern Chinese medal with a value less than $300).  My submission arrived in Sarasota in late July and my box was opened in late August.  The estimated turn around time is 88 days.  88 business days.  I may receive it back by the end of the year.  I submitted other invoices with this order and asked that they  be returned together.  My mistake.  The other items are completed, but will not be returned until the Great Wall medal is completed.  Once submitted for joint return, I am unable to change the shipping request and have the completed items shipped at an earlier date.

As a collector, this delay is unimportant.  NGC has been severely impacted by covid, self-distancing rules, work from home rules and, now, a definite shortage of workers.  If I were a coin dealer, this would be another story.  Imagine, submitting a large number of inexpensive items from your inventory and waiting 5+ months for their return.

I have submitted other items this year in higher categories and they have been graded, encapsulated and returned to me in a timely fashion. 

Mark Bonke

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Thank you especially to Arif for your continued wisdom and helping the community of panda collectors. I will definitely look into the Express shipping instead of going 7 hrs rd trip to Baltimore.

Offline Shenzhen

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 08:57:44 AM »

Recently i got a 1/2 oz gold panda back from NGC, which is slipped inside the holder....  N13  Maybe that occurred during the transport from US to the office is Germany.

But well... buy the coin and not the holder so dunno.  :001_rolleyes:

Offline Shenzhen

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 02:50:43 AM »
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Thank you especially to Arif for your continued wisdom and helping the community of panda collectors. I will definitely look into the Express shipping instead of going 7 hrs rd trip to Baltimore.

With NCS it takes much more longer, at least my observations.