Author Topic: Annam coins gaining momentum. What do these Chinese characters mean?  (Read 134 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
I've noticed that 19th century coins from Annam, which have Chinese characters, but which encompassed territory that is now part of modern Vietnam, seem to be becoming more popular at auction recently, with prices rising. 

https://www.coinarchives.com/w/results.php?search=annam+tien&s=0&upcoming=0&results=100

I started collecting some of these more than 10 years ago.  I've posted photos of a few of these over the years, but I don't think I've shared this one.  I dug it out of storage recently, and it seems to be more special than I appreciated when I bought it awhile ago when few people knew what Annam was.  There seem to be very few of this type in existence and very few in high grade. 

Can someone please tell me what the Chinese characters on the front and back of the coin mean, so that I can better appreciate its story?  Also, NGC doesn't seem to have summary statistics for this coin.  If I type in the NGC number, it verifies, but it doesn't show the number of coins in each grade as it does for many other coins?  Thanks so much for any info.

Offline PandaAccumulator

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Annam coins gaining momentum. What do these Chinese characters mean?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 09:04:12 PM »
The front is the name of the money, this is a coin from ancient China, 1848-1883. The two characters in the back mean "four" and "beauty".