Author Topic: Who Was Norman Bethune? (NGC Chinese Coins)  (Read 1116 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Who Was Norman Bethune? (NGC Chinese Coins)
« on: March 10, 2020, 08:44:04 PM »
"My path is set on a strange road, but as long as I feel it is a good road I will go down it.” Dr. Bethune arrived in Hong Kong together with a Canadian nurse, Jean Ewen. The two flew to Wuhan, where they were introduced to Zhou Enlai, China’s future premier. From there they departed for Yan’an to link up with the Chinese 8th Route Army led by Mao Zedong. Bethune actually met Mao. It was in a cave and the two talked the night away.

While the doctor was not an easy man to work alongside, his knowledge, creativity and dedication were exceptional. A colleague claimed he could, “...finish an operation in calm amid gunfire...”

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8149/Chinese-coins/

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
Home of the 2020 Valentine Panda
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: Who Was Norman Bethune? (NGC Chinese Coins)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 10:37:34 PM »
Peter you have written a spectacularly historical document about two physicians (and others) who selflessly provided important services to China in their time of need. Their medical innovations did not remain in China but percolated around the world where they also saved lives.

I shall print it out and keep with my set of the associated coins and medals. Yes, I bought the coins and medals for members of my family five years ago because I was touched by this important testament of times when the Chinese interfaced with other individuals from the west (including the Jews).

The most touching aspect of their stories is that these individuals are still revered, respected and LOVED in present day China.

Please accept my grateful +1.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 01:41:54 AM »

Please accept my grateful +1.

It is gratefully accepted. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
Home of the 2020 Valentine Panda
www.pandacollector.com

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 04:55:58 PM »
An excellent article! Although I was able to memorize "In Memory of Norman Bethune" when I was a small kid (it was a requirement by the school/government), I did not know as much details as you do about Dr. Bethune or Dr. Rosenfeld. Your article and passion are greatly appreciated.

I have my own set of the Bethune coins, out of my respect for the great surgeon.