Author Topic: CATTE aluminum Feng Yunming set  (Read 41733 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: CATTE aluminum Feng Yunming set
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2021, 04:43:16 PM »
The brass Lu Xun in your photos looks like a Feng medal but he said no.   This brass pair were sold years ago by Xu or Ggoodluck in China.   He may have more information on them.

I am curious about the 8 artist hired by the Bank to design the first MCC medals as mentioned by Feng Yunming.  Wonder what medals they designed and struck?   Was Chen Jian one of the 8?   Did Feng's designs have a strong influence on their designs?....

To the best of my knowledge Chen Jian went to work at the Shanghai Mint well before 1979, so I doubt that he is one of the eight you ask about. There are many medals and pins from the early period that he designed that are unidentified and unmarked. At the least, he didn't mention any way to identify them to me. It didn't sound like it was possible and I didn't ask more about that.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and` More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide
Home of the Valentine Panda
PCGS Consultant
www.pandacollector.com

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2021, 05:55:54 PM »
Interesting.   I hope there is a possibility that there maybe some letters/paperwork that has information on the early years.  I wonder who hired and assigned early artists to make medals?  Could those in charge then work for Official Mint to strike MCC?   The foundation of MCC looks to be medals.

Photos of  Feng's silver Lu Xun medals in comparison to the brass medals...

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2022, 10:28:27 PM »
Page 9 has more info and photos.  Not a Feng medal set and one incorrect medal.   About $521 USD total  Out of Stock.  Actual price?   I planned to offer $100.   Seems like a high price but some early medals are getting more demand....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2022, 08:27:02 AM »
Stacks has a single Feng Yunming - Lu Xun for bid.  NGC says top pop PF 67 and 1 pop. 

NGC other Lu Xun says top pop PF 67, w/ 6 pop, not listed on Stacks. Why two on NGC?....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2022, 03:50:10 PM »
Here is the last price of the OMP Lu Xun set that i know of.   A set in China was priced at about $1,000 ($999) and sold.  Actual price?   Very rare to see this 2 pc set and none in the last year, maybe 2 on ebay.   The COA is very rare, outer paper box is rare and most cloisonne box are blue but i did see one red and one black since Fwang's post in 2013....

Last graded set that sold on ebay was about $500 plus maybe 3 to 4 yrs ago...

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2022, 08:00:23 PM »
The cloisonne box that came with my set is the blue one.  I recall thinking at the time I purchased it that the box was very nice and about as valuable as the coins.  Pretty sure the cost was around $50.
“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.”

Confucius

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2022, 04:16:06 PM »
$50 for the box, right?   (I have not seen the 2 piece Lu Xun set for around $50 on US ebay)  The cheapest was two medals in China no box/no coa that sold for around $200 + ? maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago.   Prices have gone up since then and very rare to see them.   I have the blue, red & black box.   The rarest is the COA printed on light almost rice paper thin.    Not many bids on the Stacks graded Lu Xun.  It may sell cheap...

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2022, 05:05:36 PM »
Nope - $50 for both box and medals. “The cloisonne box that came with my set ….”

Early medals made by Beijing Radio Instrument Factory and distributed by the China National Art & Craft Import & Export Corporation are pretty “rough” quality compared to China Mint coins and medals so there wasn’t much interest in collecting them back then.
“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.”

Confucius

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2022, 09:09:49 AM »
That is the lowest price i have heard of.  How long ago was back then?  I track them, the last 2 to 3 yrs prices of Lu Xun 2 pc set and box was about $800 and then moved up over $900.   Bought mine years ago too.   None for sale for the last yr or so that i know of.   Most Feng sets are targeted today but a member did send me info of a 12 pc archaeological set that sold on a unknown US small auction for under $200 maybe 2 yrs ago.

The most common set on ebay was the 1979 Painting 2 pc set.  The Qi Baishi silver medal is the most detailed of them all in my biased opinion.  A set sold out of Canada last yr for $150.  Much higher price but seller kept dropping price.  I got it and it is like new.  The outer box, silver-red Chinese characters is in good shape, looks like it sat in a safe until sale.  My best Chinese Painting set, photos..

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2022, 05:58:03 PM »
This top pop PF 67 Lu Xun silver by Feng Yunming sold cheap at Stack's  $180.  (Wish both were mine...)

At Spinks auction, this Feng Hong Kong Gold Horse Archaeological Finds PF 65 $4,487 USD + 20% fees +other fees?
Total cost?    Lot 4567    NGC pop increased to 16 today from 12.....