Features > Modern Chinese Coins

Post your newest modern Chinese coin

<< < (2/289) > >>

badon:
Locating the scarce coins takes some time. Having the cash ready to go at the moment when a coin you want appears takes even longer! Here's today's prize:

badon:
This coin is cool because the GOLD is dirty! No lie, check it out - Anything not yellow is not gold. Sometimes you get copper spots, and sometimes you get chunks of silver, steel, lead, ham and eggs, etc in your precious gold coins. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy, I need to get a better camera. You can see the gray color just fine though.

PandaCollector:
For me, the impurities create an effect that resembles snow falling around the tiger. What a beautiful coin and design.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

badon:
Yeah, it is gorgeous. I have never seen a gold coin - or any coin - with solid impurities in it. The closest thing to it I've seen are fairly common "lamination" errors, where a layer of dirt gets rolled into the metal, and later the layer prevents bonding of the metal on both sides, so they separate and peel away like lamination on a piece of paper.

We all know about copper spots and things like that, but those are very diffuse, blended, impurities that you can't see until they start to develop a patina. In this case, these are solid chunks of something. They look to me like iron filings, but I suppose they could be almost anything. They're not struck into the coin, like a "lint mark" would be, because they have a raised burr around them.

The burr looks strange though, and I really think that a very thin layer of gold that was on top of the non-gold inclusion was lifted away from the coin in the same style as a lamination error while the die retracted. That exposed the impurity, and left a slight burr to confuse people who haven't seen it before. This coin grades PF70, so the NGC graders must have seen this before, and correctly granted a high grade. I have a metalworking background, so with some thought, I was able to figure out what these tiny grey spots were.

Lint marks never have a burr, because the pressure of the die keeps them down. All very fascinating.

larrydreher:
That coin seems very difficult to find.  I have one on the way from China.  Funny thing is that NGC didn't even have it in the appropriate registry set.  Last time I looked only two had been graded.  They told me they would be adding it to the registry soon.

I can't make sense out of what makes one commemorative Panda more difficult to find than another.  The mintage is certainly no indication.

--- Quote from: PandaCollector on October 26, 2010, 06:08:40 PM ---Doesn't anyone else get new coins? Anywhere, here is a Panda that was a challenge to find, for me at least. The fun in collecting isn't necessarily to own the most expensive coin (although that's nice too!) but to locate the scarce ones. Stats: 10 Yuan 1 oz. silver Panda, Mintage 20,000, 20th Anniversary and Listing Of China CITIC Bank.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version